Our general policy regarding your data is to save as much as needed and as little as possible.
This document will try to explain what personal data we store and how we handle that.
What we store
- Your user name and hash of your password
- Your email address if you provide one. This will only be used to provide you with a way to recover your password.
- The date of your account creation and the end of your next payment interval.
- Offline messages. If someone sends you a message while you are offline that message will be stored until you get back online.
- Archive. By default we will be keeping an archive of your messages for later retrieval by yourself. This can come in handy if you log in with a new device and want access to your message history and is also required if you want to use the OMEMO encryption with multiple devices. You can opt-out of this by setting your server-side archiving preferences with your XMPP client.
- Files. Every file you share with a contact or a conference will be uploaded and stored for later retrieval by the recipients.
- Other data
- A list of your contacts (Roster, Buddylist). This list is maintained by you. You decide who goes on that list and who gets deleted.
- Semi public data you are publishing for your contacts to see like your avatar or the OMEMO public keys.
- Other private data your XMPP client might upload like a list of conference bookmarks.
What we don’t store
- Your IP address or any information that could be inferred by that address like your location.
- The time when you login. - Or more general the times when you use our services.
- A correlation between your account and your payment information for longer than it is necessary to fulfil our return policy.
How we handle your data
- All cost of operation is payed by your annual fee so we simply don’t have to sell or analyse your data in any way. And we never will.
- If you delete your account all related information will be deleted with it. Including your files and messages.
- All backups will be encrypted.
Even though we will never look at the contents of your messages or files nor process them in an automated fashion we strongly advise you to use the OMEMO encryption whenever possible.